Jan 18, 2020
DA 205 - Digital Forensics II
Credit Hours: 4
This course will cover advanced digital forensics topics. Some of the concepts discussed and demonstrated include : forensic cleansing, forensic duplication, imaging, acquisition, hashing, file meta-data analysis, carving and examining deleted files. Some of the software used in the lab includes: SMART, HELIX, Backtrack, FTK, Mac Forensic Lab and Gargoyle Forensic Investigator.
Upon completion, the student will be able to:
- utilize a systematic approach to computer investigations;
- utilize various forensic tools to collect digital evidence;
- perform digital forensics analysis upon Windows, MAC and LINUX operating systems;
- perform email investigations;
- analyze and carve image files both logical and physical;
- explain guidelines for investigation reporting;
- explain anti-forensic methods/tools and their use;
- understand the implications of anti-forensics to the digital forensics investigator; and
- demonstrate an awareness of current methods of reducing the effectiveness of anti-forensics.
Prerequisites: DA 204