MA 119 - Medical Documentation I
Credit Hours: 1
Students will practice using computer hardware, software, and peripherals for the medical office. Use of the Microsoft Windows operating system to organize medical documents into appropriate folders and subfolders, use of search tools to find programs, folders and files, and customization of the desktop will be covered. Microsoft Word applications will be applied when formatting a variety of medical documents including medical reports and forms, medical manuscripts, letters, and memos. Students will use mail merge functions, work with templates, create fill-in patient forms, patient education flyers, and format medical facility newsletters.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of computer equipment and the basic parts of the computer hardware, software, and peripherals;
- apply Windows functions when organizing files and folders;
- format and edit documents using intermediate-level Word techniques;
- apply MS Word keyboard shortcuts to medical business letters, reports, memos, and tables;
- create patient mail-merge letters with fill-in fields, envelopes, and labels;
- design patient update form templates with password protection; and
- format disease prevention newsletters.
Corequisites: Keyboarding Course (OF 101 or OF 102); or ability to type 35 wpm with permission of the instructor.