Mar 31, 2020
VC 245 - Ophthalmic Fabrication I
Credit Hours: 2
An orientation to laboratory facilities required to produce single vision and multifocal finished eyewear including an introduction to prism. Instruction will include laboratory safety, lensometer usage, boxing system, tool usage, lens layout, prescription fabrication, bench alignment and frame repair.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate the proper use of lensometer;
- perform neutralization of spherical and cylindrical lenses;
- demonstrate proper techniques of hand beveling ophthalmic lenses;
- identify and properly use common ophthalmic hand tools and measuring devices;
- develop proper bench alignment skills;
- perform basic ophthalmic frame repair;
- demonstrate proper layout of single vision and multifocal lenses;
- learn and complete job work ticket;
- edge, assemble and verify completed single vision and multifocal eyewear; and
- demonstrate application of ANSI standards.