Apr 26, 2018
LE 240 - Breath Analysis Operator Course
Credit Hours: 2
The course is mandated by the Division of Criminal Justice Services of the State of New York for police officers maintaining and operating devices capable of ascertaining if a motor vehicle operator has a blood alcohol content in excess of that permitted by law. It also must be periodically repeated for the operator to maintain his or her permit. The re-certification component is three (3) days in length, enabling the operator to refresh his or her skills and to be introduced to new equipment and concepts.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the metric system and of conversion from Celsius to Fahrenheit systems and vice versa;
- explain Henry's Law;
- demonstrate an understanding of infrared instruments and fuel cell theory;
- obtain a breath sample in a manner compatible with New York State law;
- illustrate knowledge of Data Master nomenclature;
- explain the mandated procedures under NYS law for administration of breath tests and recording and storing of evidence;
- operate the Intoxilyzer 5000 EN and/or the Alcotest 7110 MK III C in full compliance with state law;
- demonstrate familiarization with relevant laws and court decisions in order to assist in the prosecution of DWI and lesser alcohol offenses;
- illustrate the maintenance and set-up of equipment used in employing department or agency; and
- explain the necessary preparation for court appearance.
Year Round (N)