CA 121 - Communication Theory
Credit Hours: 3
Communication theory introduces students to important theories that shape the field of communication studies. These theories affect all facets of communication including interpersonal, small group, organizational, mass mediated and multicultural contexts. Through this class, you will be invited to join in the debate about the nature, functions, processes and methods underlying human communicative behavior.
Fulfills SUNY General Education -- Humanities.
Upon completion of this course the student will be able to …
- explain the elements of communication;
- explain the meaning of meaning;
- explain message design, audience identification and media selection;
- select media that have the greatest potential for reaching a predetermined audience;
- explain socio-economic-cultural factors in audience sensitivity;
- contrast various models of the communication process; and
- apply what they have learned about communications theory to communication research.