Apr 01, 2020
CI 220 - Structural Steel Design
Credit Hours: 3
Deals with the design and checking of suitable steel sections per latest A.I.S.C. specifications to be used as beams, girders, lintels, columns and struts and the design of simple frames. Different types of fasteners are discussed, in addition to static loads, wind and impact loads. Use of digital computers required.
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- determine loads;
- analyze steel beams;
- design steel beams;
- analyze shear and deflection;
- analyze columns;
- design axial loaded columns;
- design and analyze columns with moments;
- analyze and design column and beam base plates; and
- understand engineering ethics.
Prerequisites: CI 185, MT 122 or MT 126