MA 115 - Medical Terminology I
Credit Hours: 3
A course for health sciences professionals designed to provide skill in understanding and using medical terms. This course introduces fundamentals of word analysis, orientation to the body as a whole and common prefixes and suffixes. Anatomic and physiologic terminology, pathologic terminology, clinical procedures, laboratory tests, abbreviations and correct spelling and pronunciation of medical terms relating to the body systems are stressed. Many body systems are included, such as digestive, urinary, male and female reproductive, nervous and cardiovascular systems.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- identify and define prefixes, suffixes and word roots;
- spell and use medical terms correctly;
- build the medical terms given definitions;
- analyze and define medical terms; and
- demonstrate understanding of medical terms as used in sentences, paragraphs, medical texts and case studies.
Prerequisites: Completion of all developmental English coursework.