MA 125 - Medical Terminology II
Credit Hours: 3
A course for health sciences professionals designed to provide skill in understanding and using medical terms. This course is a continuation of MA 115. Anatomic and physiologic terminology, pathologic terminology, clinical procedures, laboratory tests, abbreviations and correct pronunciation and spelling of medical terms relating to the body systems are stressed. Included are the respiratory, hematologic, lymphatic, musculoskeletal, integumentary, ophthalmic, otic and endocrine systems along with specialized areas of oncology, radiology, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, pharmacology and psychiatry.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- identify and define prefixes, suffixes and word roots;
- spell and use medical terms correctly;
- build the medical terms given definitions;
- analyze and define medical terms; and
- demonstrate understanding of medical terms as used in sentences, paragraphs, medical texts and case studies.
Prerequisites: MA 115 or permission of the instructor.