MU 200 - The Fundamentals of Music
Credit Hours: 3
Fundamentals of Music is planned for those students seeking to acquire basic skills in reading and writing using music notational symbols. This course is designed for students with little or no musical background. Learning the basics of the piano, keyboard, and ear training are also included.
Fulfills SUNY General Education -- The Arts.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- understand basic major and minor scale formation;
- develop the capability of discerning various melodic and harmonic sounds, along with rhythmic units within western tonalization;
- understand basic music theory and its function within a composition;
- be familiar with musical terminology and how to apply it to musical form; and
- give an overall concept of music theory and its application to the keyboard and other instruments.
Cycles (C, N, S)