MU 201 - Instrumentation and Arranging
Credit Hours: 3
This course will provide the musically-oriented student with a basic understanding of music composition and arranging. Students will become familiar with the timbre, range, and transposition of common musical instruments. Application of elementary harmony and arranging techniques will be stressed. Students will learn to write and arrange music using the FINALE software music program.
Fulfills SUNY General Education -- The Arts.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- understand musical forms;
- be able to use major & minor scales in creating melody;
- be able to harmonize melody with chords;
- understand & use various chord voicings;
- identify the range of musical instruments;
- transpose musical instruments correctly; and
- arrange a specific song for specified instrumentation.
Prerequisites: MU 200 or permission of the instructor.
Cycles (N, S)