Oct 29, 2020
MU 215 - Survey of Jazz
Credit Hours: 3
A survey of the development of jazz in America circa 1900 to the present. In addition to studying major jazz musicians, emphasis is placed on understanding the musical characteristics of various jazz styles through increased listening skills.
Fulfills the following SUNY General Education categories:
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- identify aurally, and in writing, the six (6) major style periods of jazz;
- identify in writing the four (4) major characteristics in jazz styles;
- understand the creative process of improvisation in jazz performance;
- identify aurally the four (4) major rhythmic beats ("feels") in jazz music;
- identify the black African and white European musical elements that combined to develop jazz;
- discuss in writing the evolution of the blues and its influence on jazz;
- list the musical characteristics of each jazz style;
- identify in writing the major jazz artists from each style period and their contributions to jazz; and
- discuss and give reasons for their preferences for a particular jazz style.
Cycles (C, N, S)