Aug 21, 2019
EG 114 - Advanced Emergency Medical Technology I
Credit Hours: 6
A course for the Basic EMT and /or the EMT Intermediate looking to upgrade their NYS Department of Health Certification to the new AEMT Certification. This course contains the following content:
- advanced standing pretesting for currently certified EMT/intermediates;
- updated NYS Basic EMT standards;
- anatomy/physiology and pathophysiology of disease;
- lifespan development;
- pharmacology that meets national AEMT standards;
- advanced airway management techniques; and
- medical emergencies.
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- student must demonstrate all competencies of a Certified NYS Basic EMT and pass the NYSDOH Basic EMT skills examination; and
- demonstrate CPR and Choking maneuvers and the proper use of an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) and attain American Heart Association CPR credential at Healthcare Provider level.
Advanced EMT: Must perform all the competencies of a Basic EMT and all the following:
- perform peripheral vascular access demonstrating proper utilization of an angiocatheter, vacutainer, leuer adapter, saline trap, Intraosseous needle and fluid administration;
- perform advanced airway maneuvers to include but not limited to: Endotracheal Inbubation, King Airway, Combitube, LMA, Bougee and chest decompression;
- demonstrate proper application of the Magill forceps during airway management; and
- demonstrate proper techniques of medication administration for I.V. Bolus, I/O, ET, IM, SQ, Nasal, Sublingual.
Prerequisites: EG 113. At minimum, a student must be a currently certified NYS Basic EMT.
Corequisites: Co-requisites: EG 048, EG 051, EG 115
3.5 hours N/S
Taken concurrently with EG 048, EG 051 and EG 115 the course is 24 weeks, 3.5 hours classes meeting 3 nights per week. Offered in the Spring and Fall semesters at North and South campus. 48 hours of Hospital based clinical and 48 hours of field internship time accompany the classroom and lab work.