Nov 13, 2018
HEGIS Code: 5317
Curriculum Code: 2239
Campus Location: North
Engineering & Technologies Division
The Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Technology Certificate Program prepares individuals to apply technical knowledge and skills to install, service, repair and maintain the equipment used in heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
The curriculum includes instruction in system operations; diagnostic techniques; the use of testing equipment; principles of mechanics; and electricity and electronics as they relate to heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems.
Special Admission Requirements/Prerequisites
- Student will be required to purchase a selection of hand tools.
- Student should have a basic understanding of mathematics and have completed the MT003 level or higher.
- Students should possess a basic understanding of English language skills. A student should be able to read, speak, and write clearly. Students must achieve the EN022 level or higher on the English Placement Test.
- Basic mechanical ability is beneficial.
Upon successful completion of this certificate program, the student will be able to:
- install, identify, categorize, operate, maintain and troubleshoot building mechanical and electrical systems using diagnostic analysis methods;
- demonstrate an understanding of basic refrigeration theory and the operation of an HVAC/R system;
- demonstrate an understanding of basic electrical theory and Circuitry with the ability to read and interpret schematic diagrams;
- demonstrate an understanding of the proper methods used for refrigerant recovery, reclaiming and recycling; and
- demonstrate an understanding of the importance of establishing good safe working practices and maintaining good customer relations.
Total Degree Credits: 31.0
First Year, Fall Semester
First Year, Spring Semester
NOTE: This is a recommended sequence. Student should consult his/her academic adviser prior to registering.
For more information contact Andrew Sako, Department Chair, at (716) 851-1025 or 851-1026.