Degree: Associate in Science
HEGIS Code: 5299
Curriculum Code: 2440
Campus Location: City, North, South
Business and Public Service Division
Pre-Admission Recommendations: Interest in a health related field.
There is no denying that health and wellness for individuals, families, companies and the government at the local, state, national and international level has become a major focal point within the past decade. There is a growing need for health professionals who can provide health information and exercise instruction to individuals to promote a healthier lifestyle. Additionally, there is a need for trained exercise professionals to accommodate the growing number of both adults and children participating in sports and exercise programs. The United States Department of Labor identifies the job outlook as "much faster than average for health and wellness professionals such as health educators, athletic trainers, personal trainers, etc.
The purpose of the Health and Wellness Promotion A.S. Transfer Degree is to provide students with the necessary foundational knowledge to pursue an advanced degree after graduation from Erie Community College. Completion of this degree will allow students, if they choose, to enter directly into the work force for some limited occupations.
The Health and Wellness Promotion Transfer Degree has two concentrations. The Health Studies concentration is designed for students wishing to transfer and complete their bachelors or higher degree as health educators, public or community health professionals, as well as working with specialized populations such as seniors in promoting a healthy lifestyle. This concentration will include course work that will prepare our students to plan, implement and evaluate health and wellness programs for individuals throughout their lifetime.
The second concentration, Exercise Science, is for students who wish to transfer to a baccalaureate or higher program in exercise science, personal training, athletic training, physical therapy, strength and conditioning, etc. working in a variety of settings such as corporate fitness, hospitals, universities, professional sports. A balanced format of instruction in the natural sciences, as well as instruction in courses such as exercise testing/programming and personal training, will provide our students with a valuable educational background related to becoming a professional in the field after their transfer and graduation from a four-year institution. Additionally, the curriculum will prepare students to sit for outside certified personal trainer credentialing examinations such as National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) and American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) if they choose to follow one of these paths. These graduates will be able to seek employment in private businesses, industry, health insurance companies, public health agencies, and private not-for-profit agencies.
The goal of both concentrations is to have graduates who either continue (transfer) on to a four-year school for an advanced degree in one of the many professional disciplines under the Health and Wellness umbrella or enter the workforce directly. Both concentrations fulfill all of the SUNY General Education requirements within their respected curriculums, which will make transferring easier for our graduates.
Lastly, but maybe most importantly, the Health and Wellness Promotion A.S. Transfer Degree is designed to provide SUNY Erie students with the greatest amount of career options as a result of the transfer possibilities resulting from our articulation agreements.
Program Competencies, Exercise Science Concentration
Upon graduation with an Associate in Science degree in Health and Wellness Promotion, the student will be able to:
- know and apply (in theory) discipline specific scientific and theoretical concepts pertaining to health and wellnes;
- be knowledgeable and possess skills to assess, evaluate and determine needs and goals for clientele to enhance health and wellness;
- design and implement (utilizing textbook case studies) safe and effective programs to promote health and wellness; and
- know the roles, professional responsibilities and standards of practice of different health professionals.
Program Competencies, Health Studies Concentration
Upon graduation with an Associate in Science Degree in Health and Wellness Professions, Exercise Science Concentration the student will:
- recognize and apply various techniques in health and wellness which are sensitive to culture, religion, socioeconomic status, age and health literacy;
- analyze qualitative and quantitative data in order to use it to design, assess and evaluate programs which enhance health and wellness at various levels;
- demonstrate competence in a number of professional areas including a resume, cover letter, and interview skills;
- recognize the roles, professional responsibilities and standards of practice of different health professionals; and
- demonstrate competent knowledge and skills in First Aid/CPR.
SUNY Transfer Path Requirement
Students matriculating in this program are required to fulfill the SUNY Transfer Path Requirement that most closely aligns with the program. Speak to your adviser for details.
Total Degree Credits: 61-63