HEGIS Code: 5104
Curriculum Code: 1418
Campus Location: South
Engineering & Technologies Division
Erie Community College’s Web Page Design Certificate Program is designed to address the industry’s need for designers to possess greater competency in language, visual communication and graphic design skill, as well as formal training in essential industry standard software programs. The program will be beneficial for both Web page designers who want to upgrade their skills and students who want to obtain the necessary skills to obtain an entry-level Web page designer position.
Students will enjoy small class sizes and hands-on opportunities to utilize the latest in hardware and software as they take courses such as Orientation to Graphics, Photoshop I, Publishing IV Web Basics, Multimedia and Web Page Design with Dreamweaver.
This is a growing field and graduates will find positions with advertising agencies, government agencies, non-profit organizations and businesses. In addition, graduates may transfer credits to obtain an Associate in Applied Science degree in Visual Communications Technology: Graphic Arts and Printing.
Upon completion of the Web Page Design Certificate Program, the student will be able to:
- identify basic design principles and the historic influence on graphic design, including the fundamentals of typography as they relate to digital and print media;
- apply related techniques such as the principles of design and layout, copyfitting, page anatomy, copyright laws and proofreading when applicable to the production of printed and electronic Web-based products and information;
- demonstrate competency in operating a computer including current versions of industry-related software applications for design, illustrations, page assembly, photo/image manipulation and HTML Web publishing;
- apply the theory of color and its relationship to the electronic process;
- identify the terminology associated with special effects for image manipulation and how to produce each effect;
- apply a variety of measurement systems including points and picas to a diversity of job specifications/products in the graphics industry and apply correct mathematical processes to specific procedures;
- apply the basics of multimedia authoring and development to incorporate sound, still, and moving images for use with such items as Web pages and multimedia CD ROMs;
- apply the basics of Web design and Internet competencies including the rules and regulations of the Internet; and
- create an interactive Web page utilizing current Web editing software.
Total Degree Credits: 30.5 - 35.0 credits