HEGIS Code: 5214
Curriculum Code: 0980
Campus Location: North
Health Sciences Division
The Medical Office Practice Certificate Program--by offering training in either clinical or administrative aspects of office procedure--prepares the students for positions in physicians’ private offices or group practices, hospital offices, medical records services, clinics, public health facilities, research and other health related offices.
This program has been designed to prepare graduates for immediate employment in a medical facility. Further, the program has been structured to provide career mobility and to facilitate further study. Courses from the Medical Office Practice Certificate Program may be used to satisfy requirements in the Medical Assisting Associate in Applied Science (A.A.S.) Program if the student decides to pursue an Associate in Applied Science degree.
A core program, required of all students, provides the basic scientific fundamentals applicable to the medical profession. These courses include Medical Documentation, Medical Law and Ethics for Health Care Professionals, Medical Terminology, Survey of Anatomy/ Physiology, Basic Emergency Health Care. Students develop additional skills by completing either the clinical option or the administrative option.
Choosing the clinical option would provide course work in medical microbiology, pharmacology, clinical office assisting procedures. Upon successful completion of all required coursework, Medical Office Practice students may elect to complete an 80 hour clinical practicum experience in a medical office setting. Students will not receive pay for the practicum experience. Clinical Medical Office Practice graduates may continue their education and pursue the Associate in Applied Science degree in the Medical Assisting Program. Graduates may also pursue additional education to become nurses or other health care workers.
Choosing the administrative option would provide course work in medical administrative procedures, medical transcription and medical coding and billing. Upon successful completion of all required coursework, Medical Office Practice students may elect to complete an 80 hour administrative practicum experience in a medical office setting. Students will not receive pay for the practicum experience.Administrative Medical Office Practice graduates may continue their education and pursue the Associate in Applied Science degree in the Medical Assisting Program. Graduates assume positions in medical offices, other health care facilities and a variety of administrative support occupations.
Admission criteria includes:
- high school degree or GED;
- overall high school average of 80% within the last five years;
- an 80% final grade in high school general biology or BI 107 achieving a grade of "C" within the last 5 years;
- a minimum college GPA of 2.0 within the last 5 years;
- completion of all required developmental English courses;
- completion of developmental Math courses
The student must maintain a minimum grade of “C” in all Medical Assisting (MA) courses. The student must receive a passing grade in all other coursework (BI, EG, MR, and MT*).
*Clinical option only
All courses may only be repeated only once if minimal grades are not attained or if the student has withdrawn (W) from the course.
A second failure in a repeated course (a grade below a “C” in MA courses; a failing grade of "F" in any of the other courses) or a second withdrawal (W) from that course will result in dismissal from the Medical Office Practice Certificate Program. Because of the critical nature of the profession, deviations from professional conduct may adversely affect the patient’s well being. Therefore, the department reserves the right to immediately remove the student from didactic, laboratory and clinical course work and/or dismiss that student from the program if the department determines that the student has acted in an unprofessional manner or if the student is unable to provide safe laboratory practices.
MA courses are integrated and sequenced in a specific manner to enable students to attain program competencies.
- Students must complete all MA courses within a two year limit.
- For graduation, students must have an overall GPA of 2.0 and a minimum grade of “C” in MA courses.
- Lab coats must be worn and all safety protocol followed in all clinical office courses.
- Students are responsible for providing transportation to off-campus office externship sites utilized for medical office training.
- Student accident insurance is available and highly recommended for part-time students.
Upon graduation with a certificate in Medical Office Practice—Clinical Option, the graduate will be able to:
- handle medical emergencies;
- assist physician with patient procedures;
- participate in patient education;
- demonstrate proper sterilization/disinfection techniques;
- perform clinical duties;
- maintain an inventory of medical supplies;
- demonstrate skill in basic laboratory techniques;
- use computer skills in performing administrative and clinical duties; and
- demonstrate behavior consistent with acceptable professional conduct standards, such as appearance, quality of work, quantity of work, human relation skills, leadership skills, written and verbal communications skills.
Upon graduation with a certificate in Medical Office Practice—Administrative Option, the graduate will be adept at the following:
- Produce transcribed record of voice recording of dictated reports and procedures of a medical nature into the computer.
- Maintain patient records and files.
- Accurately complete insurance forms and reports.
- Maintain records of accounts receivable/payable.
- Perform proficiently in a computerized office.
- Demonstrate good telephone techniques and skills.
- Act as receptionist and public relations liaison.
- Handle incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, surgeries and hospital admissions.
- Maintain patient records and files.
- Perform administrative duties.
- Maintain an inventory of office supplies.
Total Degree Credits: 30.5 Clinical Option
28.0 Administrative Option