Dec 11, 2023
GA 130 - Publish With QuarkXPress®
Credit Hours: 3
The theory and hands-on operation of a page assembly program including basic and advanced functions will be covered using QuarkXPress. The concepts of copyright laws, print trade laws, and page anatomy will be included as well as the basics of newsletter design. The course objective will be to write, design and execute a multi-colored newsletter layout with multiple columns using QuarkXPress that can output to a PostScript device and be included in a portfolio.
At the end of the course the student will be able to:
- understand and interact with the basics of the QuarkXPress interface as a print industry tool for page assembly;
- open/quit/print from the program execute page set-ups to create documents and templates;
- identify/use components of the interface save work to designated areas;
- apply preferences identify page anatomy elements related to multipage documents; and
- apply professional typographic techniques relate copyright laws to printing.
- demonstrate efficiency in the following page-assembly techniques using an instructional tutorial which requires;
- manipulating text, picture boxes and rules;
- keyboarding and editing text;
- importing and modifying text and graphics;
- manipulating specialized palettes; and
- utilizing advanced menu commands to produce effects for style sheets, blends, frames, runarounds etc.
- measure in points and picas to accurately set up a page layout as a template or document for a double-sided, multi-colored newsletter;
- recognize the basic components of a newsletter and be able to apply basic principles of newsletter construction;
- apply professional typography principles to render a pleasing layout for a newsletter;
- identify the basic components and anatomy of page elements as they relate to multi-page documents;
- understand copyright laws as they apply to the graphic arts printing industry;
- select a topic, write, design and construct a newsletter applying specified special effects using QuarkXPress; and
- output completed newsletter as a digital color page proof to be mounted for inclusion into a portfolio.