Dec 11, 2023
TE 217 - Telecommunications IV - Verizon
Credit Hours: 4
A survey of current and emerging technologies in telecommunications will be presented. Topics included are telecommunications access and transport technologies, VOIP, wireless communications and network security. Lectures, interactive learning, demonstration and site visits will be employed. Laboratory exercises will be required.
Upon successful completion of this course the student will be able to:
- explain Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) transmission and cell structure;
- describe Synchronous Optical Network (SONET) transport and frame structure;
- demonstrate the Digital Subscriber Line (xDSL) access technology;
- analyze Frame Relay access;
- clarify modern modulation techniques and applications;
- illustrate fiber optic access technologies (FTTx) and fiber networks;
- define wireless telecommunications methods and systems;
- compare services over IP;
- explain cryptography;
- understand computer and network security; and
- research and present details of a new communications technology.
Prerequisites: TE 215 or permission of the instructor.