Feb 20, 2024
BM 105 - Refrigeration Principles
Credit Hours: 3
An introduction to the fundamental principles of refrigeration and the refrigeration cycle. Students will study the components of the refrigeration system, including compressors, condensers, metering devices and evaporators to fully understand their operation and function within the system. System controls and refrigerant types will also be covered.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of basic refrigeration theory and how a refrigeration system operates;
- describe and identify the components of a refrigeration system and explain their function and operation within the system;
- recognize the effect improper operation of any component has on overall system operation;
- demonstrate the knowledge of the common refrigerants and understand their use and the need for proper handling;
- apply understanding of the refrigerant pressure-temperature chart, and be able to use it in analyzing system performance; and
- illustrate the ability to identify the common controls used in refrigeration systems and explain their function and operation within the system.
F/S (C, N)