AT 232 - Exploratory Art Casting
Credit Hours: 3
Students will learn foundry techniques such as melting and molding in gas and electric furnaces. They will cast projects using processes such as sand molding and investment casting using a variety of molten material such as bronze, iron, and aluminum.
Fulfills SUNY General Education – The Arts.
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- design an art object, construct it in various materials and use it as a pattern for casting;
- understand the basic metallurgy of casting alloys;
- operate both gas and electric furnaces;
- melt and cast ferrous and non-ferrous alloys;
- work with several types of molding media-ceramic, sand, rubber compounds; and
- understand Sculpture history and technology’s influence on contemporary and future sculpture.
Prerequisites: AT 230 or permission of the instructor.