Sep 25, 2022
AO 110 - Automotive Electrical
Credit Hours: 6
This lecture/lab course will focus on basic electrical principles and the architecture of modern automotive electrical systems. This course will focus on the practical strategies that are required to diagnose and repair basic electrical circuits. Study will also include batteries, starting and charging components.
Upon completion of this course the student will be able to:
- Describe the behavior of electricity including voltage, resistance, current and Ohm’s Law.
- Identify and compare simple, series, parallel and series parallel circuits.
- Recognize electrical symbols and interpret electrical schematics that are used in the automotive industry.
- Summarize the steps taken to correctly diagnose an automotive electrical circuit concern using strategy-based diagnostics.
- Demonstrate the proper use of automotive service information that is needed to diagnose electrical system faults, such as; schematics, connector end views, component locations, circuit descriptions and flow charts.
- Explain the proper use of electrical diagnostic equipment, such as digital/volt/ohm meters, test lights, jumper leads, terminal testing tools and lab scopes.
- Illustrate the proper procedure for repairing connectors, terminals and wires using common automotive industry tools.
- Recommend an electrical system correction based from hypothetical customer concerns and diagnostic findings.
- Analyze concerns associated with battery, starting and charging systems of modern automobiles.
- Utilize wiring schematics in service informational sources to identify electrical system faults and make the appropriate repair according to industry standards.
- Demonstrate the proper replacement of electrical system components.
- Demonstrate wiring repairs according to industry standards, including; soldering, shrink tubing, and installing solderless terminals.
- Choose the correct method of repair for terminal fit and integrity concerns in various automotive connectors using service information and special tools.
- Employ strategy-based diagnostics to find the root cause of electrical concerns.
- Describe and document their lab tasks in ways that are consistent with automotive industry standards, highlighting the complaint, cause and correction.