Sep 24, 2023
AO 115 - Automotive Maintenance and Shop Operations
Credit Hours: 4
This lecture/lab course will introduce students to common automotive maintenance procedures which are necessary for employment in an automotive repair facility. Topics will include multipoint vehicle inspections, oil change/filter maintenance, transmission/driveline services, fuel/induction services, and HVAC and battery maintenance/services.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- list and describe safe working habits in the automotive industry;
- perform multi-point inspections on several types of vehicles;
- prepare an industry acceptable parts list for maintenance services;
- complete oil and filter change services; including fluid top off, wiper replacement, and body/chassis lubrication;
- visually identify different types of cooling systems and perform maintenance services on them;
- perform various HVAC air delivery deodorizing and cabin air filter services.;
- demonstrate different types of transmission and driveline fluid exchange services;
- outline strategies, describe the various methods used, and perform fuel and induction system services.;
- perform basic battery inspection, diagnosis, and service procedures according to manufacturer’s specifications or industry standards; and
- locate manufacturer’s service schedules, explain their importance, and describe the benefits involved in fluid maintenance.