Degree: Associate in Science
HEGIS Code: 5505
Curriculum Code: 2279.CRJ
Campus Location(s): City, North, South, Distance
Business & Public Service Division
Pre-Admission Recommendations: Four (4) years English, two (2) years math, two (2) years natural science, and two (2) years social science
Career Opportunities/Further Education: Law Enforcement Agencies, Correction Facilities; or transfer to a four-year program.
Programs to meet society’s criminal justice needs have grown within the past decade. Simultaneously, the demand for professionals to work in corrections, probation, crime prevention, and court work has skyrocketed.
The Criminal Justice Program has been designed to provide a broad education with emphasis in criminal law, the dynamics of crime and society, government, the social sciences and liberal arts/humanities. The program is structured so that students may opt to take a reduced academic course load, to transfer into the Law Enforcement Associate in Applied Science degree program, or to transfer to a four-year college/university.
Criminal Justice courses comprise approximately 34 percent of the curriculum’s required courses, whereas the remaining 66 percent of coursework is taken in the liberal arts/humanities and the social sciences. The concentration is in the liberal arts/humanities and social sciences, and affords students tremendous flexibility in terms of future career choices or further study.
Graduates of this program will be prepared to enter such fields as law enforcement, corrections, the courts, emergency services, juvenile justice/child advocacy, victim advocacy or other human services professions; or they may transfer and pursue a four-year degree.
Students entering this program must be physically able to fulfill all requirements. Students are encouraged to consult an adviser in the department regarding scheduling.
Upon graduation with an Associate in Science degree in Criminal Justice, the graduate will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the criminal justice vocabulary;
- demonstrate an understanding of the philosophical and historical background in the three parts of criminal justice: law enforcement, courts and corrections;
- demonstrate an understanding of the theories and causes of crime: economic, sociological and psychological;
- demonstrate a working knowledge of the New York State Penal Code and the Criminal Procedure Law
SUNY Transfer Path Requirement
Students matriculating in this program are required to fulfill the SUNY Transfer Path Requirement that most closely aligns with the program. Speak to your adviser for details.
Total Degree Credits: 61.0