Degree: Associate in Science
HEGIS Code: 5299
Curriculum Code: 2440.HWP
Campus Location: City, North, South
Business and Public Service Division
Pre-Admission Recommendations: Interest in a health related field.
Health and Wellness promotion has been established as an essential component to support living fulfilling and healthier lives Community organizations, medical facilities as well as private and governmental agencies are some of the areas where you will find an increasing demand for professionals who can provide wellness information and guidance to those seeking a healthier lifestyle across the lifespan. The purpose of the Health and Wellness degree is to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills to pursue advanced degrees in health-related fields or gain direct entry to a limited number of health promotion careers. SUNY Erie Community College has established articulation agreements with several local colleges to ensure the greatest amount of transfer options for students.
The Health Studies concentration is designed for students pursuing a higher degree as health educators, public or community health professionals, or those working with specialized populations. This concentration includes course work that will prepare students to plan, implement and evaluate health and wellness programs throughout the lifespan.
The Exercise Science concentration provides a balanced format of hands-on practical experience and instruction on the latest theories and techniques in the field. This focus prepares students to pursue an advanced degree in exercise science, athletic training, physical therapy and many other health-related fields. Students following this path may have interests in personal training, strength and conditioning, corporate fitness, cardiac rehabilitation and numerous other careers. Additionally, students may complete their associate degree and enter the work force in the field of personal training (upon certification), recreation, senior services and other related positions.
Program Competencies, Exercise Science Concentration
Upon graduation with an Associate in Science degree in Health and Wellness Promotion, the student will be able to:
- know and apply (in theory) discipline specific scientific and theoretical concepts pertaining to health and wellness;
- be knowledgeable and possess skills to assess, evaluate and determine needs and goals for clientele to enhance health and wellness;
- design and implement (utilizing textbook case studies) safe and effective programs to promote health and wellness; and
- know the roles, professional responsibilities and standards of practice of different health professionals.
Program Competencies, Health Studies Concentration
Upon graduation with an Associate in Science Degree in Health and Wellness Professions, Exercise Science Concentration the student will:
- recognize and apply various techniques in health and wellness which are sensitive to culture, religion, socioeconomic status, age and health literacy;
- analyze qualitative and quantitative data in order to design, assess and evaluate programs which enhance health and wellness at various levels;
- demonstrate competence in a number of professional areas including a resume, cover letter, and interview skills;
- recognize the roles, professional responsibilities and standards of practice of different health professionals; and
- demonstrate competent knowledge and skills in First Aid/CPR.
SUNY Transfer Path Requirement
Students matriculating in this program are required to fulfill the SUNY Transfer Path Requirement that most closely aligns with the program. Speak to your adviser for details.
Total Degree Credits: 61-64