HEGIS Code: 5317
Curriculum Code: 3054.CMT
Engineering &Technologies Division
While American construction companies are involved in projects worldwide, no other country matches the United States in new construction projects. With these new projects has come the growing demand for construction workers and technicians prepared to spearhead this monumental building effort. Homes, highways, buildings, plants, airports, and bridges will require the handiwork of master builders and the Construction Management Technology Certificate will provide some of these technicians.
The educational objectives of the Construction Management Technology Certificate are to:
- secure employment in a technical career related to construction management and supporting staff; and/or
- continue education to obtain a two-year A.A.S. Construction Management Engineering Technology at SUNY Erie.
Students are provided a sound education in both the theory and the application of quality construction principles for a variety of construction projects. Students learn the basic methods, materials, techniques, and developments involved in the construction industry.
The Construction Management Technology Certificate Program offers the students a unique combination of management, design, and hands-on experience. Through a series of construction management courses, students learn about the construction industry as a whole and analyze the interrelationships of the various organizations within the industry. In the laboratory, students master blueprint reading, quantity take-offs and the estimating of residential and commercial projects. A minimum grade point average of 2.0 is required for graduation with a Certificate in Construction Management Technology.
The certificate will provide students an opportunity to qualify for positions such as construction manager assistants, field supervisors, building inspectors, contractors, field clerks, purchasing agents, surveying crew, expediters, estimators, and construction materials salesmen. The certificate will offer the opportunity for further advancement to those who already have some field construction experience and also to those currently working in construction support services fields.
The certificate will meet the needs of today’s changing construction environment by providing new job opportunities in Construction Management. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, employment opportunities in construction management from 2019 to 2029 will grow by an average of 8%.
Upon graduation with a Certificate degree in Construction Management Technology, the graduate will be able to:
- use mathematics to estimate material, labor and cost of construction projects;
- apply appropriate technique to administer and evaluate construction contracts, documents, and codes;
- communicate through graphic, written and oral expression the elements of construction and apply fundamental computer methods and analytical techniques in sub disciplines related to construction technology; and
- perform and apply fundamental measurements using construction methods, survey equipment and laboratory equipment.
Total Credit Hours: 31