Dec 11, 2023
SUNY Code: 20433
Pre-Admission Recommendations: High school degree or HSE (High School Equivalency)
Career Opportunities: Quality Control Technician, Cannabis Product Technician, Cannabis Sales, Cannabis/Hemp Grower
Further Education: Micro-credential stacks into SUNY Erie’s Biotechnological Science AAS degree with Cannabis concentration
This Micro-Credential is geared to the professional who wants to move their existing business into the cannabis marketplace. Students will learn the necessary concepts required to work in the cannabis industry, speak about the plant, understand regulations, and explain products to potential customers. With this knowledge students will complete a capstone project in which they will formulate their own product idea.
Admission Criteria include:
- High school degree or HSE (High School Equivalency)
Upon completion of the Cannabis Science Micro-Credential, students will be able to:
- understand the historical significance of cannabis within society;
- identify botanical characteristics of Cannabis sativa and other cannabis species;
- evaluate the legality of cannabis use both in New York state and at the federal level;
- understand current medical uses for cannabis, ongoing research, and the basic chemistry of cannabinoids;
- evaluate non-medicinal uses for cannabis;
- understand extraction techniques and various Cannabis extracts;
- identify methods for infusing cannabis into medicinal and recreational products;
- understand techniques for analyzing Cannabis products;
- evaluate research and development opportunities and Cannabis’ future; and
- create a capstone project in BT 242 Cannabis Production that will allow the student to formulate a cannabis product idea and detail the testing and regulation that would go along with that product in New York State.
- Courses can be taken in an online learning format.
Total Credits: 12