HEGIS Code: 5505
Curriculum Code: 1827
Campus Location: North
Business & Public Service Division
Career Opportunities/Further Education: Law enforcement agencies, correctional facilities, and security operations but the primary focus is on police agencies. Graduates also receive certification from the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services which certifies the student to attend an abbreviated (“Phase II”) Police Equivalency Course (six-week course) if hired by a police agency.
The pre-employment Police Basic Training Certificate Program provides students with the opportunity to complete many aspects of basic police training before being appointed as a police officer in New York. Based on the approach already used in 36 states, New York now allows approved police academies to offer men and women interested in police careers the opportunity to complete much of the mandated academy work prior to being hired by a department. The Erie Community College/Central Police Services Academy is authorized to conduct the “Phase I” program and is now accepting applications.
The Police Basic Training Certificate Program is designed to equip students with the knowledge of criminal law, physical fitness, emergency vehicle operation, first aid, and a number of other relevant subjects. This program requires 30 credit hours prior to enrollment. This 30-hour requirement is waived for veterans. Upon successful completion of the program, students will receive another 30 credit hours and will be eligible for hiring.
The certificate delves into the above topics and helps prepare individuals for their future employment with local police departments. Our mission is to enhance public safety in our community through programs that emphasize ethics, excellence, professionalism and current “best practices” in our field for entry level and veteran public safety professionals.
The Academy is full-time, Monday through Friday from 7am to 4pm, for 17 weeks. This concentrated program allows you to complete you to complete 30 credits in one extended semester.
Upon Graduation with the certificate in Basic Police Training, the officer will be able to:
- qualify on the range with a variety of police weapons;
- operate a police vehicle in pursuit and rapid response situations;
- prepare clear and concise police report and memos;
- understand the fundamentals of police crime-scene investigation;
- earn certification as an EMS First Responder;
- attain a level of physical fitness consistent with Cooper Standards;
- prove proficiency in arrest techniques, including use of non-lethal weapons;
- perform patrol and traffic functions efficiently; and
- posse’s familiarity with New York State Criminal Laws (e.g Penal Law, Code of Criminal Procedure and V&T Laws).
- Must have completed 30 credit hours of college course work (waived for veterans).
- Must have a 2.5 QPA or higher.
- Must have no felony convictions.
- Must have valid NYS Driver’s License.
- Must be able to pass a physical agility pre-test (push-ups, sit-ups and 1.5 mile run).
- Must pass an oral interview by Academy Committee.
- Must be a legal resident of New York State.
- Must pass all of Erie Community College’s admission criteria.
Total Degree Credits: 30