Feb 29, 2024
CC 250 - Curriculum Planning for Young Children
Credit Hours: 3
Explains the curricula for young children in a variety of educational settings. Considers curricula objectives, development levels, theories and learning experiences to equip the student with knowledge and skills necessary in planning and implementing developmentally appropriate curriculum for young children (methods and materials). Reviews NAEYC’s position on Effective Curriculum and Assessment, NYS Early Learning Guidelines, NYS Core Body of Knowledge, and NYS Pre-Kindergarten Common Core. Discusses the implications of brain research, gender/individual differences and Gardner’s Theory of Multiple Intelligence on the young child. A series of lectures, hands on workshops, and field trips to various early childhood settings are provided to enhance understanding of appropriate early childhood curriculum.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- develop the skills necessary to plan, write, implement and assess developmentally appropriate integrated play-based curriculum based on current theory and research;
- reflect, evaluate and assess good Early Childhood Practices according to the NYS Core Body of Knowledge competency areas;
- demonstrate an understanding of NAEYC curriculum standards and familiarity with NYS Early Learning Standards;
- understand the significance of providing a strong social/emotional environment/curriculum;
- demonstrate an ability to create a variety of effective teacher made materials;
- demonstrate effective interpersonal communication skills by working in small groups and presenting teacher made materials;
- reflect upon the importance of implementing an integrated, emergent curriculum and plan accordingly;
- understand the importance of infusing literacy throughout the early childhood curriculum;
- understand how various early childhood programs within the Buffalo community demonstrate developmentally appropriate practice; and
- compile a curriculum portfolio that contains developmentally appropriate materials and activities for young children.
Prerequisites: CC 200