MA 223 - MA Practicum Experience
Credit Hours: 2
Students participate in a supervised practicum experience of at least 160 contact hours in an assigned SUNY Erie affiliated healthcare setting, demonstrating the knowledge, skills, and behaviors of the MAERB Core Curriculum in performing and/or observing clinical and administrative skills acquired throughout the duration of the Medical Assisting program in a practical application setting. All activities required in the practicum externship must be educational and participants must be readily identified as students and not substituted for staff.
Additionally, students complete training in HIPAA and OSHA compliance, Laboratory Safety, Blood Borne Pathogens and Infection Control as part of their coursework prior to any off-campus participation.
According to SUNY policy #3200 (Admissions of Persons with Prior Felony Convictions), SUNY Erie must inquire if a student has a prior felony conviction before the student can participate in any college sponsored off-site activity. Screening may be completed using the QR code to the left or at http://tinyurl.com/ErieBoxedOut. Failure to complete this screening will affect participation in this class and may affect your grade.
Upon completion of this externship course, the student will be able to:
- Recognize the necessary skill set required of an entry-level medical assistant
- Identify strategies to address difficult patient encounters
- Analyze interpersonal relationships among the Medical Assistant and other members of the allied healthcare team
- Perform clinical and administrative skills applicable to the medical assistant.
- Discuss the importance of certification, professional membership, involvement and continuing education
- Identify the career forecast for the Medical Assisting profession.
Prerequisites: Successful completion of all courses containing the cognitive objectives, psychomotor competencies and affective behaviors identified by the CAAHEP Standards and Guidelines and MAERB Core Curriculum competency requirements for Medical Assisting Educational Programs.
Corequisites: MA 221
Concurrent Registration: MA 221
To be eligible for an Associate in Applied Science degree in Medical Assisting, students must attain a C average or better in all MA courses