Degree: Associate in Science
HEGIS Code: 5610
Curriculum Code: 664.FIA
Campus Location: City, North
Liberal Arts Division
Pre-Admission Recommendations: HS or HSE (High School Equivalency) Diploma
Career Opportunities/Further Education: Transfer to Bachelor’s Degree Program in Studio Art, Graphic Design, Photography, Art Education, Art Therapy, Art History, Museum Studies
SUNY Erie’s Fine Arts A.S. degree is designed to facilitate transfer into four-year B.A. and B.F.A. programs for Studio Art, Graphic Design, Art Education, and/or Photography. The Fine Arts A.S. degree provides students with an excellent foundation that focuses on developing observational / interpretative skills and proficiency in drawing, 2D and 3D design, painting, digital foundations, and photography.
Students studying art engage in creative problem solving, critical thinking, sequential skill building and develop persistence and focus. These are all skills that help students excel whether they choose to continue their education or enter the workforce.
Students pursuing the Fine Art A.S. degree will complete all SUNY GER requirements and all relevant SUNY transfer paths, creating a degree that is highly transferable to four-year institutions for a variety of majors. The Fine Arts A.S. degree’s core courses and most electives are offered at all three campuses. There is campus specialization in certain areas. Students are encouraged to take courses at any of the three campuses as needed to meet their individual goals and interests.
Art courses will continue to serve the college as a whole and are also open to students who are interested in art but may not wish to pursue it as a major.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- apply the elements and principles of art and design;
- create works of art using a variety of techniques, technologies, and media;
- demonstrate creative problem solving;
- exhibit critical thinking skills in the production of art and design projects; and
- identify a diverse range of art historical periods, cultures, and styles.
Dual and Articulation Agreements
- SUNY Buffalo State College: Studio Art B.A.
- SUNY Buffalo State College: Art Education B.F.A. / Communication/Graphic Design B.F.A / Fine Arts B.F.A. Successful portfolio review required.
- SUNY Fredonia: Visual Arts and New Media B.A. Successful portfolio review required.
- Niagara University: Art History and Museum Studies B.A.
Total Degree Credits: 60.0